Plural of M.A?

• Matching Mole

England, English
    If you keep the periods (full stops) then it's acceptable to use an apostrophe "s", (otherwise it looks awkward): M.A.'s

If you don't use periods, just add "s": MAs

It is increasingly common and considered improved style to drop the periods from abbreviations.

TheAmzngTwinWndr

United States
    If you keep the periods (full stops) then it's acceptable to use an apostrophe "s", (otherwise it looks awkward): M.A.'s

If you don't use periods, just add "s": MAs

It is increasingly common and considered improved style to drop the periods from abbreviations.

This is probably an AE vs. BE thing, but I think you should put the apostrophe regardless of whether or not there are periods (M.A.'s or MA's).

mal67

US - English
    This is probably an AE vs. BE thing, but I think you should put the apostrophe regardless of whether or not there are periods (M.A.'s or MA's).
    I don't think it's AE vs. BE. I'm a native of AE, and I would never put an apostrophe unless I wanted to indicate the possessive.

E.g.,

The CEO's speech was well-received.

vs.

The CEOs all had lunch together.

mplsray

I don't think it's AE vs. BE. I'm a native of AE, and I would never put an apostrophe unless I wanted to indicate the possessive.

E.g.,

The CEO's speech was well-received.

vs.

The CEOs all had lunch together.
    Adding the apostrophe is the more traditional practice--the one I was taught as a student--and is used by the conservative (in language style) New York Times, among others. See, for example, the use of "CD's" and "DVD's" here.

coiffe

USA
    American English
    I would use the apostrophe but not after the period. MA's but not M.A.'s. I'd go for Tabac's solution with "degrees" if I were using periods.

< Previous | Next >