Plural subject and singular object

< Previous | Next >

musicgold

Tutsi
Hi,

I get confused with singular/plural situations. I am confused because I have seen people use singular objects for plural subjects. In the following sentence, for example, I am not sure if ‘positions’ is a better choice than ‘position.

Recently, I had a couple of job interviews, where my professional skills and experience exceeded the requirements of the position (positions). Still I could not go beyond the first interview (interviews).

Thanks,

MG.

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Hi,

I get confused with singular/plural situations. I am confused because I have seen people use singular objects for plural subjects. In the following sentence, for example, I am not sure if ‘positions’ is a better choice than ‘position.

Recently, I had a couple of job interviews, where my professional skills and experience exceeded the requirements of the position (positions).

In this case, I would use "position" singular.
    There is some risk that if you use plural "positions" we may think there were several positions available at each interview.
    There is another thread around at the moment where a similar issue is discussed.
    Still I could not go beyond the first interview (interviews).
    I'm not sure what you mean by this sentence so I can't comment.

musicgold

Tutsi
    Still I could not go beyond the first interview (interviews).
    I'm not sure what you mean by this sentence so I can't comment.
    Generally there are multiple rounds in a job selection process. For example, a first round, a second round, then a meeting with senior management, etc. I am saying that I couldn't go beyond the first rounds of interviews.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Generally there are multiple rounds in a job selection process. For example, a first round, a second round, then a meeting with senior management, etc. I am saying that I couldn't go beyond the first rounds of interviews.
    Ah, I know what you mean.
    In that case, you should not use "can".
    Still I could not go beyond the first interview.
    - try something like -
    Still I did not get beyond the first interview.

Again, I would use interview, singular.

< Previous | Next >