pluralizing 'makeup' (lipstick, powder, etc.)

meijin

Japanese
Hi, please see the following two examples I found online.

You can also use the spice rack for your other makeups such as foundation, CC creams, concealers, and more.
Source: 10 DIY Makeup Organizer Ideas

Make up cases are a must, especially for makeup artists because often times, they can hold several makeups and keep them arranged.
Source: Best Makeup Organizers Reviews

Dictionaries say that "makeup" (e.g. lipstick, powder) is an uncountable noun, so I'm wondering if it's okay to pluralize the word and say, for example,
"I bought some makeups yesterday".

• AnythingGoes

English - USA (Midwest/Appalachia)
    No. "Makeup" is not countable. The text at the linked sites was written by non-native speakers.

meijin

Japanese
    Yes, but if I'm not mistaken makeup isn't exactly the same as cosmetics (it's a subcategory of cosmetics).

Packard

USA, English
    "Makeup supplies" which might include the consumables and the brushes and implements.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    Dictionaries say that "makeup" (e.g. lipstick, powder) is an uncountable noun, so I'm wondering if it's okay to pluralize the word and say, for example, "I bought some makeups yesterday".
    No, because uncountable nouns can't be pluralised.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    There is an exception in professional usage (which is not, I think, the context in the first example of #1 but it may be intended in the second example):
    1. They can hold many items of makeup = Three foundations, twenty lipsticks, fifteen pots of eyeshadow...
    2. They can hold many makeups = One complete makeup for Othello, one complete makeup for Desdemona, one complete makeup for the Doge...
    In my example 2, "a complete makeup" is the entire set of items needed for the character, which might well include a wig, prosthetics, etc. That is countable. I once acted in Peer Gynt, where three makeups were needed, one for a teenager, one in middle age and one as an old man.

My organizer looks like this:

< Previous | Next >