Pluralizing Name of Form

< Previous | Next >

gou

Japan
Hello,

Suppose there is a form called "Registration for License."

To indicate that I received 10 of these forms, should I simply write "I received 10 Registration for License forms"?
I'm thinking that I can't directly pluralize the name of the form like this: "I received 10 Registrations for License."
Am I correct?

Please let me know if you can think of better ways of phrasing a sentence like this.

Thank you.

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Your solution is good: '10 . . . forms' avoids the difficulties there might be in putting the plural inside the name.

Biffo

English - England
    Hello,

Suppose there is a form called "Registration for License."

To indicate that I received 10 of these forms, should I simply write "I received 10 Registration for License forms"?
    I'm thinking that I can't directly pluralize the name of the form like this: "I received 10 Registrations for License."
    Am I correct?

Please let me know if you can think of better ways of phrasing a sentence like this.

Thank you.
    If you write ten Registration for License forms you are using Registration-for-License as an adjective describing 'forms'. English adjectives do not take the plural. It is preferable to show this in some way either by adding hyphens or by modifying the type-face.

If you want to show that you are not talking about the forms (i.e. the pieces of paper) but instead about applications, then you must write, ten registrations - in lower case.

1. I received 10 Registration-for-License forms. :tick:

2. I received 10 registrations for License. :tick: (Lower case plural noun. I left 'License' in upper case because it is clearly its official name.)

3. I received 10 registrations for licenses. :tick: (Lower-case - no names used)

The point is to be aware of the parts of speech you are using.

Does that make sense?

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >