plus...moins y' de riz

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by violinplayer, Feb 5, 2009.

1. violinplayer Member

Paris, France
    English-U.S.A.
    Hello,

Could someone please clarify what is meant by the last part of this sentence ('de riz')? Is it related to "rire," implying that if more people come to the rehearsal, there'll be less laughter and people will be more focused in general? Thanks!

Ca serait bien qu'il y'ait un maximum de monde ce week end pour la répétition plus on est de fous moins y'a de riz !!!!

p.s. I meant to write in the subject line: plus...moins y'a de riz. Sorry!

2. Micia93

Micia93 Senior Member

in the center of France
    FRANCE FRENCH
    this is a pun on the word "rire"
    the actual sentence is : "plus on est de fous, plus on rit"
    here, it means that the more you are, the less you have to eat (rice in this instance)

3. violinplayer Member

Paris, France
    English-U.S.A.
    Thank you, Micia. Could eating rice here refer more generally to having a good time/merriment, or even getting distracted? I guess I'm just not clear why the person wrote this in the context of a rehearsal because we never eat together at rehearsals.

4. fetchezlavache

fetchezlavache Senior Member

metz, france
    france
    It's got nothing to do with eating, or rice per se. It's just a play on words, I should say a play on sounds, between 'plus on rit' et 'moins y'a de riz'.

5. Micia93

Micia93 Senior Member

in the center of France
    FRANCE FRENCH
    no, rice doesn't especially refer to having a good time (it's the inverse, it mostly refers to poor countries)
    here, it's only a pun with "rit" (from "rire" = "laugh")

6. violinplayer Member

Paris, France
    English-U.S.A.
    Okay. Thank you!

7. caro44 Senior Member

French - France
    how would you translate plus on est de fous moins y'a de riz into English please?

8. snarkhunter

snarkhunter Senior Member

France, Région parisienne
    French - France
    Invention strictement personnelle :

The more there are together, the less there is to grazers

... Mais je ne sais pas si cela fera réellement sens en anglais "natif" (je me suis juste efforcé de conserver un sens plutôt "alimentaire" à cet à-peu-près).

9. VanOo

VanOo Senior Member

Paris, France
    Français - France
    L'équivalent de "plus on est de fous, plus on rit" est:
    The more the merrier

Donc
    The more the hungrier.