plus ou moins

< Previous | Next >

Waninou

french (france)
Hello,

I was wondering if the following sentence would make sense ?

Masses were extracted within the range plus or minus 25 ppm.

context: Mass Spectrometry

In French: " Les masses ont été extraites dans l'intervalle plus ou moins 25 ppm.

Thanks in advance.

• tilt

French French
    I found a bilingual site speaking about un intervalle de plus ou moins 4% in French, and in English... ±4%! :eek:

Does anyone know how to call this symbol in English?

savannah

English, USA
    I don't think the symbol itself has a name in English--at least as far as I know. We usually just say "plus or minus." As in, "The opinion poll has a margin of error of plus or minus 3%." I think the symbol used instead of the words would be fine in some contexts, perhaps most.

tilt

French French
    Another site:

notre pourcentage d’échantillonnage est exact à plus ou moins 3 p. cent
    =
    our sample percentage is accurate to plus or minus 3%

Your attempt seems to make sense, but a native should confirm.

savannah

English, USA
    Hello,

I was wondering if the following sentence would make sense ?

Masses were extracted within the range plus or minus 25 ppm.:tick:

context: Mass Spectrometry

In French: " Les masses ont été extraites dans l'intervalle plus ou moins 25 ppm.

Thanks in advance.
    This sounds fine to me--though I know little to nothing about mass spectrometry.

Waninou

french (france)
    I don't think the symbol itself has a name in English--at least as far as I know. We usually just say "plus or minus." As in, "The opinion poll has a margin of error of plus or minus 3%." I think the symbol used instead of the words would be fine in some contexts, perhaps most.

Would "Masses were extracted with a margin of plus or minus 25 ppm" be better?

To me, a better French one than the first I gave would be: "Les masses ont été extraites avec un intervalle de plus ou moins 25 ppm"

Thanks tilt and savannah for your quick answers !:)

< Previous | Next >