podcast

< Previous | Next >

yuechu

Canada, English
大家好!

I was trying to translate the word "podcast" today, as in, "I like to listen to French podcasts."
The Wordreference dictionary has the word 播客, but I noticed that this word has both the meanings "podcast" and "radio broadcast". Could there be any ambiguity using the word 播客 in Chinese? (about whether it is a live broadcast on the radio or a podcast saved to a device which is not live?)

Thanks! :)

• Shazhudao945

Chinese - Mainland China
    The App Podcast from Apple uses 播客 as its official Chinese name, which is the reason why the dictionary tells you 播客.

As for me, I think podcast is probably a new word, which was created by Apple in late years.
    So we don't have an official corresponding Chinese word for it until Apple used 播客 in IOS.

Herewith the wiki-link:
    This article is about the media format. For the application from Apple, see Podcasts (software). For the application from Google, see Google Podcasts.
    Podcast - Wikipedia

Last edited:

albert_laosong

Mandarin
    I think 播客 always refers to the live broadcast on the internet, it can't be used to refer to radio programs etc.
    Anyway 播客 is a new word and a new concept, no many people are very familair with it.

SimonTsai

Taiwanese Mandarin
    I don't think that people here would bother to come up with a Mandarin translation of the word 'podcasts'. We would rather simply say the English word in everyday, casual speech. (The word 'podcast' is a combination of 'iPod' and 'broadcast', and we don't have a word for 'iPod' in Mandarin, so it is natural that we simply say it in English.)

ovaltine888

Mandarin Chinese & Shanghaiese
    As far as I can remember, 播客 was the official translation in Chinese for the incipient term "podcast" in the first place.

But later on, podcast did not take off in China probably because of the internet censorship. And soon local Chinese apps such as 喜马拉雅听 took over the audio broadcast market in China and the original word "podcast" or 播客 was rarely heard in Chinese internet ecosystem.

With the advent of 4G technology, short video apps like Tiktok have prevailed over the audio apps of late.

That is why young Chinese netizens are not familiar with the link between 播客 and podcast and some may even confuse 播客(podcast) with 博客 (blog).

I think 播客 always refers to the live broadcast on the internet, it can't be used to refer to radio programs etc.
    Anyway 播客 is a new word and a new concept, no many people are very familair with it.
    I think podcast is not a new word or concept. It has existed for over a decade. I used to subscribe Scientific Americans podcast to practice English listening when I was in college.

It is just the Chinese netizens that do not familiar with podcast because of the internet censorship.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >