podemos encontrar trabajos en el estado del arte

aussienomad

English (Australia)
Hi All!

I'm reviewing a translated a computer science paper to be re-submitted and I'm not sure of the use of "works" in the following sentence:

"We consider this to be a relevant contribution of this paper, as we can still find works in the state of the art that only use the error reconstruction term for anomaly detection."

ES> " Consideramos que esta es una aportación relevante de este trabajo, ya que todavía podemos encontrar trabajos en el estado del arte que sólo utilizan el término de reconstrucción de errores para la detección de anomalías"

Is "works" correct, or is there a better way to phrase it (e.g. studies, research, papers)? Or can I just simply use "work"?

The authors are adamant that it's correct, and a quick Google search suggests that they might be right...

Many thanks!

• aussienomad

English (Australia)
    I find "works in the state of the art" unclear. Do you mean "state-of-the-art works"?
    I find "works in the state of the art" unclear. Do you mean "state-of-the-art works"?
    Possibly, yes. Sometimes, in Computer Science papers, authors make a reference to "the state of the art".

When they refer to "trabajos" I understand that they are referring to "trabajos de investigación" - "research papers" or just plan "research". The author, however, was adamant that "works" was correct, but it sounds a little odd to me in this context...

Aguas Claras

UK English
    I would have thought they might be talking about "works" as in "proyectos", rather than "trabajos de investigación". In other words, the contribution is relevant because many people are still using "the error reconstruction term for anomaly definition" (whatever that may mean!) in their projects. It could be something like "seguimos encontrándonos con proyectos/obras de última generación que utilizan sólo ...".

lmgutie

Mexican Spanish
    My proposal:
    "Consideramos que esta es una aportación relevante de este documento, ya que todavía podemos encontrar trabajos a la vanguardia que sólo utilizan el término de reconstrucción de errores para la detección de anomalías"
    I would translate "paper" very literally as etiher as "documento" or even "papel".
    But "state of the art" must not be translated literally, instead I would write "vanguardia", "lo último", "lo más reciente".

Luis

aussienomad

English (Australia)
    I would have thought they might be talking about "works" as in "proyectos", rather than "trabajos de investigación". In other words, the contribution is relevant because many people are still using "the error reconstruction term for anomaly definition" (whatever that may mean!) in their projects. It could be something like "seguimos encontrándonos con proyectos/obras de última generación que utilizan sólo ...".
    They refer to "trabajos" rather than "proyectos".
    In fact, one of the authors wrote to me to clarify: "No es un único trabajo son referencias a varios trabajos"

I would like to know if in English it would be correct for me to use "works" in plural in the Computer Science context, or if it would be more correct to use "work", or something different like "studies", or "research", or "research papers"

I am asking for opinions on the English equivalent, not the Spanish translation! Sorry for any confusion.

aussienomad

English (Australia)
    Can we just be clear as to which is the original text, please?
    The original text is the text in Spanish. I need to correct the English translation.

My question is : Does "trabajos" refer to "works", "work", or "studies" etc.... ? I must use the term "state of the art".
    Using "works" in either "state of the art works" or "works in the state of the art" does not sound right to me, but perhaps it is.

Many thanks

Rafael Nogales

Spanish - Spain
    I'm mathematician and software engineer and I read papers very often.

In Spanish, researchers still using the word "paper" for this kind of works / projects / documents. I think translate it for "papel" is very inaccurate. Because nobody says it in Spanish.

state-of-the-art works are the cutting edge techniques that are being developed right now. So it could be translated for "técnicas de vanguardia" if you are writing for a wider audience. But if the audience is academic we still using "estado del arte" to refer this cutting edge techniques and works.