poetic ring

< Previous | Next >

joh2001smile

Chinese
During the last days of WWII, a figher pilot of Luftwaffe wish luck to a bomber pilot before their planes took off to undertake a mission. Does the phrase have any meaning about poem? I cannot see anything promising about the Germany of those days. Did the speaker impy that this mission may be successful by the phrase?

Schröeder cast his eyes around the group of men. ‘This must be all that’s left of our airforce now. The only operational squadron.’
‘The final flight of the Luftwaffe…that has a nice poetic ring about it,’ said Max.

• Prairiefire

US (Midwest) - English
    No, it seems that the speaker was tired of war, and he was glad to hear the words 'final flight.'

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    If the original was written in English, Max may have been refering to the repetition of the sounds f, i, l, t in:
    ‘The final flight of the Luftwaffe.

Avignonais

USA
    USA, Anglophone
    I agree with what Cagey said. Good point. Also, The Final Flight of the Luftwaffe, sounds like the title of a tragic poem.

Avignonais

USA
    USA, Anglophone
    I respectfully disagree. The phrase Poetic ring does not just refer to the sound (at the letter level). Poetic ring most often implies how the words sound together, what sense of poetry, tragedy, etc., they can evoke.

anothersmith

English, U.S.
    I agree that there's more to the sound than simply the fact of the alliteration. But my aim was to be helpful, and I doubt that the sense of tragedy, etc., that the words can evoke would be helpful to a person from a foreign country who is trying to learn English (as opposed to one who is alread fluent in English and who is studying English literature).

Blumengarten

America / English
    I agree, it means more than the alliteration of the F's. The final flight of an airplane could be tragic -- it's the final flight because it's shot down, or because the war was over. The final flight of the Luftwaffe is something that was long-hoped-for, because that would mean that the war was over. Whether the flyers came back or not, this would be their final sortie and they would be finally at peace (whether in Heaven or on Earth).

mjscott

American English
    The final anything sounds poetic, emotive. In this case Max could have been speaking both of the alliteration and the fact that the final flight sounds like the cause for a poem, or at least a country song written about it.....:rolleyes:

< Previous | Next >