Poignant Outfit

< Previous | Next >

Bradshaw

Spanish & Catalan
Hi,

Does 'poignant outfit' mean something to you? I want to say that the clothes someone was wearing were sort of ridiculous (old-fashioned and
definitely not this person's size)

Thanks

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    "Poignant" has more to do with the emotional response that is evoked rather than being directly descriptive. (In writing, it violates the canon of "don't tell, show.")

What definition of poignant are you using?

ewie

English English
    Yes, a poignant outfit would be one that might make me weep in nostalgia. I can't think of a single word that covers both old-fashioned and oversized. How about quaint oversized outfit?

Bradshaw

Spanish & Catalan
    I was actually thinking of 'poignant' as a substitute of 'pathetic', which sounds too strong in my view. And Ewie, I cannot use your suggestion, since I'm referring to a t-shirt that was def. too small for the guy who was
    wearing it. I think I didn't make myself clear enough!

ewie

English English
    OK, Brad. Yes, I agree, pathetic is a bit strong. How about undersized and démodé? (Just throwing down the first thing that comes into my head here.)

Bradshaw

Spanish & Catalan
    I'm not sure about 'gauche'. but the 3 other options would certainly work. I just cannot come up with a single word that comprises the 2 meanings!!

Thanks everybody

< Previous | Next >