point bloquant

sonzo

France
Hi All,

Je prépare un mail et je voudrais dire "c'est un point bloquant" dans le sens ou si je n'ai pas cette information , je ne peux avancer dans mon étude .
Merci d'avance pour votre aide

• DeSica

Français Canada
    D'abord, préparez votre courriel, mot d'origine québécoise maintenant accepté par toute la francophonie.

Je vous propose:
    Le renseignement manquant pose un obstacle au déroulement (à la progression) de mon étude.

RocketGirl

Canada, English
    Hi Sonzo, hope I'm not too late.

Trying to help, but having a hard time coming up with an equivalent expression (although it seems to me there is one, I just can't think of it right now)

I suggest changing the sentence around to say:

"Without this information, I will not be able to move forward with my studies".
    or
    "It is imperative that I receive this information as I cannot (or 'will not be permitted to') continue my studies without it"

portia1780

English (USA)
    Depending on the formality and/or purpose of your letter, you could say that it is a "showstopper." This has been a recent "buzz word" at my work to refer to something that keeps us from moving forward on projects.

(I would consider this informal, US.)

sonzo

France
    Merci Desica pour votre courriel...
    Par contre , je n'ai pas du être assez clair. En fait je souhaitais une traduction du français vers l'anglais.
    à bientôt

prinjon

French from Paris area
    Bottleneck is most of the time providing correct meaning, meaning that you need to make through a certain step to go further but which is so far not possible.

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    'Bottleneck' is the usual transltion of 'goulot d'étranglement', I think (and 'stumbling block' is 'pierre d'achoppement'). While I :tick: Rocket Girl's proposals, I think "This [information] is a sine qua non for me to advance in/to continue..." // "Cet enseignement est un sine qua non..." could work. or "This (piece of) information is indispensible if I am to continue..." // "L'enseignement manquant est indispensable pour me permettre d'avancer dans..." It seems to me that "mon étude" is a project, not "my studies".
    (But was the OP asking for FR or EN??)