Point of Departure

Josh_

U.S., English
If I wanted to use the phrase "point of departure" in a figurative sense, not a physical sense, would I use مطلع or نقطة الانطلاق or something else all together. مطلع sounds like it would be used more in a physical sense such as "New York is my مطلع when I travel abroad.

• Abu Bishr

Afrikaans, South Africa
    Hi Josh

You could use نقطة المغادرة or مكان المغادرة as المغادرة is the term often used for "departure" in this sense. This is also clear from the signs that you see at airports or bus or train depots in the Arab world.

Josh_

U.S., English
    Hello Abu Bishr,

Yes, of course, but I wanted to know what term would be used in a figurative sense -- for example one basic concept being the point of departure for exploring more complex related concepts.

Abu Bishr

Afrikaans, South Africa
    Hi Josh

Sorry for misunderstanding you the first time. Yes, I'd say نقطة الانطلاق would be the go, and so also من هذا المنطلق even though it is used sometimes differently from the first. The latter could be translated as "from this premise" which is, in fact, a point of departure. Grammatically, المنطلَق is an اسم مكان (Noun of Place or Locative) i.e. the place or point of departure. In the final analysis, recourse should be taken to how both of these expressions are actually used in everyday usage.

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    Yes, and if you want to say (X is my point of departure to discuss something, or to start somtheing) you can say
    هذه نقطة انطلاقي لمناقشة شيء، أو لبدء شيء
    If you want to write a longer sentence :) you can say :​
    هذه هي النقطة التي سأنطلق منها لمناقشة كذا أو لبدء كذا
    As for مطلع it has the meaning of the point from which you go "up", and it's not even widely used.

fatiha

ARABIC -MOROCCO
    Yes i am with Cherine
    نقطة الانطلاقة أو نقطة انطلاقي
    فاتحة

Abu Bishr

Afrikaans, South Africa
    نقطة الانطلاقة
    الانطلاقة is what they call in Arabic Grammar اسم المرة or مصدر المرة which would mean here a single departure. So it is correct to say: نقطة الانطلاقة for الانطلاقة is not intented as a descriptive adjective such that both parts must be defined or undefined. In this regard, الانطلاقة is the same as تكيبرة، تسليمة، استعمالة , etc. from the point of view of being a مصدر المرة . So it is not meant to be an اسم منسوب like انطلاقي or انطلاقية

As for نقطة انطلاقي , the Yaa is ياء المتكلم , that is, "my point of departure" and not ياء النسبة as understood by some.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Ah, I see. I misunderstood, then - although I have to say I would have preferred الانطلاق.

< Previous | Next >