point of reference

< Previous | Next >

Nocciolina

USA
English
Hello,
Can someone help me make the following sentence sount English. I am having problems with the 'point of reference'

The wheels of a recumbent bicycle are the essence or fundamental feature /point of reference that determine the bicycle’s performance and style.

I am doing a translation and am looking for a solution to the highlighted section

thanks!

• GenJen54

USA - English
    I would say "fundamental feature" or "primary feature."

"Point of reference" in this context does not make sense to me.

If you wait a few minutes, I'm sure others will be glad to opine.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Nocciolina said:
    Hello,
    Can someone help me make the following sentence sount English. I am having problems with the 'point of reference'

The wheels of a recumbent bicycle are the essence or fundamental feature /point of reference that determine the bicycle’s performance and style.

I am doing a translation and am looking for a solution to the highlighted section

thanks!
    the fundamental indicator of the bicycle's performance and style

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    How about "what?"

"The wheels of a recumbent bicycle are what determine its performance."

Or better:

"The wheels of a recumbent bicycle determine its performance."

Now we need to see if the statement is true. Is it really the wheels? Or is it the recumbent design of the chassis?

So why not a direct statement about why the recumbent design outperforms the traditional?

Or is this getting too political?

modgirl

USA English, French, Russian
    Nocciolina said:
    How about this:

The wheels of a recumbent bicycle are the most essential feature that determine the bicycle's performance and style.

I'd make the statement as simple to understand as possible.

Amityville

English UK
    Everyone seems very familiar with the term 'recumbent bicycle'. I am pleased I didn't reply to this thread in its early stages as I thought it must be referring to the bicycle-as-objet-d'art with its wheels in the air. I do know what one is now - it's the rider who is recumbent. They are maybe more common where you live ?

< Previous | Next >