Point of view in writing

< Previous | Next >

AntiScam

Arabic
Hello,

I was confused and I have always wondered about the term point of view. Sometimes it is used to mean an opinion; other times it means the pronouns you use to tell a story. This is the first time I have come across a book or an article when the confusion is mentioned. I do not know if this is the right place, but I'll ask anyway. Why is there one term for two different concepts?

When you are setting out to write an essay, you have to decide in which person you will write. (Often this choice is called point of view, which is confusing because point of view is most often a description of your opinion about a topic.)
Source: Writing in 15 minutes a day

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    I have one opinion and you have another; so different persons (in either sense) will have different points of view. But third person is not a single point of view. A story can be told from first or second person points of view ('I got home and found . . .' v. 'You arrive home and find . . .') but numerous third person points of view ('Elizabeth thought Mr Darcy was proud, and did not care for his good opinion' v. 'Mr Darcy felt bored at this crowd of country misses he was forced to associate with').

< Previous | Next >