police brutality and discrimination

SuprunP

Ukrainian & Russian
For example, to revisit a subject from chapter one, at the time of writing there is a growing social movement in America called Black Lives Matter, which protests for justice and seeks solutions to a modern epidemic of racially charged American police brutality and general discrimination. The work is very much an extension of the 1960s civil rights movement in America, and eerily so. To really understand the origins of such problems as police brutality and discrimination, one must look beyond the current political environment, specific police department policies, or even the lone mentality of the individual perpetrators.
(The New Human Rights Movement; Peter Joseph)

Would you be so kind as to tell me whether it is possible to read it in either of the two following ways:

1) [...] which protests for justice and seeks solutions to a modern epidemic of racially charged American police brutality and [racially charged American police] general discrimination. [...] To really understand the origins of such problems as police brutality and [police] discrimination [...]
2) [...] which protests for justice and seeks solutions to a modern epidemic of general discrimination and racially charged American police brutality. [...] To really understand the origins of such problems as discrimination and police brutality [...]

Thanks.

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    I think it's: a modern epidemic of racially-charged American <police brutality> and <general discrimination>.

The implication is that American society is racist, which leads to a) discriminating against black people in general and b) the police being violent towards them in specific cases. The two elements are placed in reverse order because, in the cases that this campaign refers to, the police brutality came first and then the generalised discrimination protected the police from prosecution later.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I read it as (1), though I can't be sure. I think it's all to do with police behaviour, which is based on general discrimination on the part of the police.

Certainly here I think it refers specifically to police discrimination: the origins of such problems as police brutality and discrimination

< Previous | Next >