police report

syasturi

Cuba-U.S., Spanish
After going out to an incident, the police writes a report that is later used by insurance companies (when applicable) and the courts. My question is what is the best translation into Spanish of "police report." I have seen both "informe de la policia" and, expressed with a different construction, "la policia levanto acta," and I have no way of intelligently evaluating the alternatives. Thanks.

• Freyre

Spanish, Spain
    "La policía levantó acta" means that a policeman wrote about the accident. I suppose circumstances and statements of witnesses etc. "Acta is the name of the paper the policeman wrote.
    El "informe de la policia" means exactly the same. The policman wrote a paper stating circumstances, people implicated, atatements of witnesses.
    Either expression is correct and, in this case, means the same thing
    Un cordial saludo.

David

Banned
    El "informe de la policia" means exactly the same.

La única diferencia sería tal vez que un "police report" como se usa es menos formal; un "informe del policía" que se encargó de algún incidente..., mientras "levantó acta" implica más bien un "affidavit," a formal sworn statement. "Police report" también puede referirse a la "denuncia": al reclamante las cías. de seguro normalmente preguntan "Did you file a police report?"

cero

North American English
    WORDREFERNCE says "denuncia policial" for police report. I was talking to my neighbor that had his car broken into and his tools stolen. I said "informe de policía" when referring to the police report to be supplied to the insurance company. It even sounds better. Is it wrong? By the way, I like the explanation of "policía levantó acta".