policy of formulating law?

plusloinplushaut

vietnam- vietnamese
Hi, I need your help, please explain to me what is a policy of formulating law? I wonder if the word "policy" here is well used because after that, the author does not talk about any policy but just the weak points of the fancy-sounding economic arguments about the ”externalities” of smoking. Thank you.
"England’s smokers are about to be banned from lighting up in pubs, restaurants and offices. The ban will be convenient for me: I don’t smoke, and I don’t like smoky pubs. Sadly, the government has not formally adopted a policy of formulating law for my personal convenience. The smoking ban is justified instead using fancy-sounding economic
arguments about the ”externalities” of smoking."

• Trisia

Romanian
    According to Merriam-Webster:
    policy = a high-level overall plan embracing the general goals and acceptable procedures especially of a governmental body

The government has not formally adopted a policy of formulating law for my personal convenience: it's a joke, the person is saying that the government doesn't make laws just to please him/her. When adopting a law, they give economic reasons (smoking can prove to have bad side-effects on the state economy? :D)

plusloinplushaut

vietnam- vietnamese
    Thank you Trisia. I understand the meaning but just find the use of words in the group unfamiliar and complicated somehow. Do these words "policy of formulating law" often go together? If I translate that to " policy explaning law", is that correct? In fact, which word you often use when implying a document that is formally passed by the government after a certain law to further explain the law and the way to implement it (due to some legal hole in that law)?

Trisia

Romanian
    Thank you Trisia. My pleasure :)

I understand the meaning but just find the use of words in the group unfamiliar and complicated somehow. Same here :eek:

Do these words "policy of formulating law" often go together?
    I have no idea. :( I don't see it as a fixed expression, it's just a sentence.

If I translate that to " policy explaining law", is that correct?
    No. In this context, formulating = devising/designing/creating
    The policy is basically the approved line of conduct. So "policy of formulating law" could be re-written "as the way the government writes/sanctions laws [as a rule]".

In fact, which word you often use when implying a document that is formally passed by the government after a certain law to further explain the law and the way to implement it (due to some legal hole in that law)?

I have no idea, sorry (I could say it in Romanian, but I'm afraid that wouldn't be of too much help)

< Previous | Next >