Poligamist or Polygamous ?

Artrella

Banned
BA
Spanish-Argentina
Hi,
How do you call a man who has several wives?

I found polygamist but Teacher corrected it to polygamous

Thx

:warn: SORRY!!! I made a mistake!! please it is "polygamist" and "polygamous"
Teacher corrected it into Polygamous

• VenusEnvy

English, United States
    polygamist :tick:
    poligamist :cross:

Polygamy is when a person in general has more than one spouse.
    Polygyny is when a man has more than one wife.
    Polyandry is when a woman has more than one husband.

gaer

US-English
    Artrella said:
    Hi,
    How do you call a man who has several wives?

I found polygamist but Teacher corrected it to poligamist

Thx
    A little correction, if I may:

What do you call a man who has several wives? You were thinking in Spanish, right? Or German!

Since polygamist is correct, I don't know what your teacher was thinknig of.

Gaer

Sharon

United States, English
    Polygamy is when polygamists are in a polygamous relationship.

:D
    Sharon.:)

Panpan

England, English
    The first post says the teacher changed polygamist to 'polygamous'.
    A polygamist is polygamous and is in a polygamous relationship. So it may have been the context which prompted the teacher to change it?

Hope this helps
    Panpan

Sharon

United States, English
    Oh! I thought the question was 'i' or 'y'...

From my Webster's...

polygamist: One who practices polygamy.

polygamous: Of, pertaining to, engaged in, or marked by polygamy.

So you can say either:

He is polygamous.
    He is a polygamist.

Hope that helps!
    Sharon.:)

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    Panpan said:
    The first post says the teacher changed polygamist to 'polygamous'.
    A polygamist is polygamous and is in a polygamous relationship. So it may have been the context which prompted the teacher to change it?

Hope this helps
    Panpan

No, she said that the noun was "polygamous" not "polygamist". And when I told her that I had found it in a dictionary, she said "NO,NO,NO" :confused:

gotitadeleche

U.S.A. English
    Artrella said:
    No, she said that the noun was "polygamous" not "polygamist". And when I told her that I had found it in a dictionary, she said "NO,NO,NO" :confused:

Perhaps you could ask her to show you in the dictionary where she gets her information from, because in my humble opinion, she is wrong.

gaer

US-English
    Artrella said:
    I'm sorry, but this person doesn't know her a-- from a hole in the ground when it comes to English grammar. But perhaps she has a good sense of the language.

But I find it a bit scary when I get such wrong answers. I shakes my confidence in the person. :(

Gaer

mjscott

American English
    Yes, Artrella! NO, NO, NO to that teacher! Polygamous is is adjective and polygamist is the noun.

(PS-You can be gracious to her while you are still under her tutelage, and smugly KNOW that you know more than she does!)

:] ;)

gaer

US-English
    mjscott said:
    Yes, Artrella! NO, NO, NO to that teacher! Polygamous is is adjective and polygamist is the noun.

(PS-You can be gracious to her while you are still under her tutelage, and smugly KNOW that you know more than she does!)

:] ;)
    Well put!!! :)

VenusEnvy

English, United States
    NTFS said:
    The right word to describe a man with several wives is "POLYGAMOUS"!!!
    gotitadeleche said:
    Yes, but in this case polygamous is a predicate adjective. To use it as a noun you say the man is a polygamist.
    Sorry to be a hair-splitter, y'all . . . :eek: But, a MAN who has several WIVES is called a polygynist, and is practicing polygyny.

VenusEnvy said:
    Polygamy is when a person in general has more than one spouse.
    Polygyny is when a man has more than one wife.
    Polyandry is when a woman has more than one husband.

gaer

US-English
    VenusEnvy said:
    Sorry to be a hair-splitter, y'all . . . :eek: But, a MAN who has several WIVES is called a polygynist, and is practicing polygyny.
    polygynist was not found in the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary

(must be rare)

polygynist is one of more than 1,000,000 entries available at Merriam-WebsterUnabridged.com.

(again, rare word, because MW is asking for money to give you the answer.)

I'd say you're not only spliting hairs, you splitting the splits. :)

Seriously, were you able to track down the origin of this word, and why it has almost disappeared from usage?

jacinta

USA English
    Venus, don't worry. You're correct. Polygynist and polygyny appear in the American Heritage dictionary. We just don't use it because how may women do we know who have many husbands!! :p Hmmm, to me that would mean a lot more work than it would be worth :D
    We just assume that a polygamist is a man. Only men seem to do such things.

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    polygyny /pldni/ n. L18. [f. POLY- + Gk gune woman: see -Y3.] 1 Polygamy in which one man has two or more wives at the same time. Cf. POLYANDRY. L18. 2 The fact or state (of a male animal) of having more than one female mate. E20.polygynist n. a person who practises or favours polygyny; a man who has several wives at the same time: L19.

---------------------------------------------------------
    Excerpted from Oxford Talking Dictionary
    Copyright © 1998 The Learning Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

gaer

US-English
    Artrella said:
    polygyny /pldni/ n. L18. [f. POLY- + Gk gune woman: see -Y3.] 1 Polygamy in which one man has two or more wives at the same time. Cf. POLYANDRY. L18. 2 The fact or state (of a male animal) of having more than one female mate. E20.polygynist n. a person who practises or favours polygyny; a man who has several wives at the same time: L19.

---------------------------------------------------------
    Excerpted from Oxford Talking Dictionary
    Copyright © 1998 The Learning Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    Wow, that's confusing. It seems as though different sources define polygyny differently. Regardless, I think it is very rare. I've never seen or hear it. :)

Gaer

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    gaer said:
    Wow, that's confusing. It seems as though different sources define polygyny differently. Regardless, I think it is very rare. I've never seen or heard it. :)

Gaer

Polygamist >>> used for both sexes >> a man with several wives or a woman with several husbands BUT it applies normally to men ( and we know why )

Polygynist >> gyne = woman >>> a man and several womes

Polyandric >> andros = men >>> a woman with many men

< Previous | Next >