polite version of "country bumpkin"

< Previous | Next >
  • ewie

English English
    Hullo MB. :confused: You're asking for a polite way to say something impolite ... ? What exactly do you mean by 'country bumpkin'?

marsbeing

By 'country bumpkin', I mean 'country bumpkin', namely an unsophisticated person from rural areas.

Hmm, this might be a stupid question...

<< No longer needed. >>

Last edited by a moderator:

Biffo

English - England
    You might say, "He is from the sticks."
    I’m from the sticks

marsbeing - It is a perfectly reasonable question but, as is so often the case, we need context in order to give an accurate answer. Please could you explain when and where you would want to use the phrase. Can you give a sample sentence as an example. :)

marsbeing

Hi Biffo, thanks for your offer to help.

Basically I am looking for a way to avoid using the impolite title in something along the lines of 'he is exactly the type of rich man who behaves like a country bumpkin'. This sentence will be used in a short essay.

Biffo

English - England
    Hi Biffo, thanks for your offer to help.

Basically I am looking for a way to avoid using the impolite title in something along the lines of 'he is exactly the type of rich man who behaves like a country bumpkin'. This sentence will be used in a short essay.
    I think you have to tell us what you think 'country bumpkin' means in that sentence. It's not a sentence I would expect to hear or understand it if I heard it.

Dou want to insult him or to say something neutral?

marsbeing

Yes, it's mainly about taste and sophistication, so what I am trying to say is he is rich, but lacks taste and sophistication, just like an uneducated peasant, or something to that effect.

Edit: I want to sound neutral.

Addition made upon reading your revised post.

Last edited:

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    'Country cousin' and 'country mouse' both have the sense of lacking sophistication, and don't have the rudeness of 'bumpkin'. Country mouse comes from the tale (possibly a fable of Aesop) of a country mouse visiting a town mouse.

Biffo

English - England
    ... he is rich, but lacks taste and sophistication...
    I think that sentence says it perfectly. I wouldn't say it to the man himself. I don't think there is an entirely neutral way to suggest that someone is unsophisticated. :)

P.S.
    I haven't met the term 'country mouse' but I have heard 'country cousin'.

Wordnip

British English
    Are you familiar with the term 'nouveau riche'? Perhaps it is a term you could use.

"Sociologically nouveau riche describes the man or woman who previously had belonged to a lower social class and economic stratum (rank) within that class; and that the new money—which constitutes his or her wealth—allowed upward social mobility and provided the means for conspicuous consumption,
    ... As a pejorative term, nouveau riche effects distinctions of type, the given stratum within a social class; hence, among the rich people of a social class, nouveau riche describes the vulgarity and ostentation of the new-rich man and woman who lack the worldly experience and the system of values of Old Money, of inherited wealth, such as the patriciate and the gentry."

Wikipedia

Biffo

English - England
    It occurs to me that the following phrase may be of interest although it is not connected particularly with the countryside.

plain speaking
    noun uk us
    › the act of saying clearly and honestly what you think without trying to be polite: It's time for some plain speaking.
    plain-spoken adjective uk /ˌpleɪnˈspəʊ.kən/ us /-ˈspoʊ-/
    › He's very plain-spoken.
    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/plain-speaking

< Previous | Next >