political patronage

< Previous | Next >
  • fiesole

english canadian
    Thank you for the "piston politique". I was definitely looking for that definition of "patronnage" rather than the "mecene". Will remember next time to be more precise. Piston would be a "familier" word for it. Any idea for the same in a more formal rendition?

Gswiss

french
    Kecha is on the right track. Patronage is used in Québec (often all by itself, without the accompanying politique) to refer to favouritism, mostly in politics.

Micia93

France French
    Thank you for the "piston politique". I was definitely looking for that definition of "patronnage" rather than the "mecene". Will remember next time to be more precise. Piston would be a "familier" word for it. Any idea for the same in a more formal rendition?
    That's the drawback ! since this is an habit somewhat immoral and doomed to be criticised, we use a derogatory word to call it.
    I can't think of a formal word, "arrangement politique" for instance, would be too soft I think :)

Budd

American English
    Kecha, your definition of political patronage is right on target, but I wonder if "piston politique" is quite the same. I think of piston as meaning influence or connections. Patronage jobs, as they're called in America, go to supporters and friends of elected officials and thus political patronage refers to hiring these people—and of course the not-coincidental corruption often associated with hiring them—and less to the influence of the politician who hires them. It may be, as Micia suggests, rather like mécénat, though Maecenas gave away his own wealth and did not raid the public treasury in order to be generous. Thoughts?

Gswiss

french
    clientélisme is excellent. I'm ashamed it didn't pop up in my mind. Surprising since in all our countries, it's more and more a fact of everyday life.:)

< Previous | Next >