pomoc vs ratunek

< Previous | Next >

Encolpius

Hungarian
Good morning gentlemen, what is the difference between pomoc and ratunek? Dictionaries give pomoc first, so I think it is a more common form, there is pomoc in both Czech and Russian, but not ratunek (German origin, I checked). To be more specific, can I use both pomoc and ratunek in these sentence:
I need your help. --> Potrzebuje twojej pomocy / ratunku.
Help! --> Pomocy! Ratunku! - difference? :confused:
Thanks & have a nice day.
Enco.

• zaffy

Polish
    'Potrzebuje twojego ratunku' sounds very unnatural.

Pomocy! Ratunku! Both sound natural, yet 'pomocy' is way more common.

Also, 'ratunku' would be used when in physical trouble, e.g. someone drowning.

You can use 'ratunku!' humorously or dramatically in everyday language, eg. your computer has just crashed.

Last edited:

Encolpius

Hungarian
    So, what's the difference between pomoc and ratunek in general?
    Sorry, I did not understand from what you wrote. Thanks.

zaffy

Polish
    In other words, pomocy fits almost every context, while ratunku is used in serious situations, unless you want to sound humorous or dramatic.

Last edited:

jazyk

Brazílie, portugalština
    Ratunek is closer in meaning to záchrana in Czech, mentés in Hungarian, and socorro in Portuguese and Spanish. I don't think it's so subtle.

zaffy

Polish
    The difference must be very subtle, fascinating.
    No, the difference is rather distinct :)

I would recommend using 'ratunku' for physical trouble like drowning or screaming out of the window while having a fire inside, and 'pomocy' in all other everyday situations

jasio

...or "save" and "give a hand" in English, for that matter.

Please note though that exclamations do not have to follow the proper dictionary meaning of the word. Also the child's language is often overexpressive.

If you're hanging from a window, you would probably scream both words interchangebly. However if you describe the action afterwords, you would rather say that someone 'uratował mnie' rather than 'pomógł mi'. The latter could mean as little as handing you a pen or pushing your car when you need it. The former is in rather dire situation - can be saving your life, but also a serious opression, like death in the family, collapse, divorce, getting out of a addiction, etc. There's also area where the two overlap, of course and both would sound naturally.

< Previous | Next >