poner el cuerpo

el once

Canada (English)
"poner el cuerpo"

What would be a good translation of this expression? It's an expression to refer to a kind of total commitment to a cause rather than using just words.

• el once

Canada (English)
    Hi,
    "Throw oneself" is not bad but is there an equivalent that keeps the word "body" in it.
    I guess I'm also wondering how this expression is used in Spanish.

audri

Spanish Argentina
    I found this which describes very accurately what 'poner el cuerpo' means. Or at least in Argentina, I don't know if it is used with another meaning in other regions.

"poner el cuerpo" means not just to talk, think, or desire, but to be really present and involved; to put the whole being in action, to be committed to a social cause, and to assume the bodily risks and demands of such commitment.

Just one more thing, it is not necessarily used in a social cause context. And it can be used when talking about assuming risks in general (not necessarily bodily risks).
    So now I have a question, does 'throw yourself into a cause' imply the meaning of assuming risks?
    Saludos,
    Audri

Violet Green

English. Ireland
    So now I have a question, does 'throw yourself into a cause' imply the meaning of assuming risks?
    Saludos,
    Audri

[/quote]

Hi Audri,
    No not really, not bodily risks anyway.
    We have the expression "to risk your hand at something", but I think it's more to try something that you've never tried before and that you've no knowledge of...

scotu

Chicago English
    Saludos,
    Audri
    Good find! Audri, When ever you "throw yourself into something new there is risk; the risk of the unknown and unfamiliar. If you throw yourself into something "body and sole" you should be prepared to take bodily risks too. For example when you think of demonstrating against the government.

Violet Green

English. Ireland
    Good find! Audri, When ever you "throw yourself into something new there is risk; the risk of the unknown and unfamiliar. If you throw yourself into something "body and sole" you should be prepared to take bodily risks too. For example when you think of demonstrating against the government.

Hi,
    "body and soul"
    I know it was just a "slip of the pen" mistake, Scotu,
    but I wanted to correct it for Audri

ElFilósofo

English U.S.
    Yes, "put your body on the line" would be a very natural translation of "poner tu cuerpo." Or "put their bodies on the line," etc.

Silvia Dee

spanish
    "poner el cuerpo"

What would be a good translation of this expression? It's an expression to refer to a kind of total commitment to a cause rather than using just words.
    In Spain we say: darse en cuerpo y alma o poner toda su alma (no su cuerpo) a algo o en algo