poner un parte

maferaluz

Spanish
Hello,

I´ve got a question regarding the Spanish expression "poner un parte".

In Spanish High Schools, when a student has improper behaviour, insults the teacher or other classmates, or just makes it difficult for the teacher to work with the rest of the class, "se le pone un parte". This is a kind of report in which his behaviour is explained and is sent to the Head of Studies.
How can I say that in English?. Is there something similar in English?

Thanks in advance!

• kayokid

English, USA
    Hello. "to write somebody up" comes to mind.

Those students get written up several times a year.

That is one way to express the idea but I am sure there are other expressions. Wait for more comments.

kidika

Castellano de Castilla - España
    I am not fully on board with either of the options that you guys gave.
    A "parte" is not a detailed report of events; it is more like a standardised piece of paper where you tick some boxes and where you might add a brief final note for clarification (usually one or two lines).
    So is there anything similar in the English speaking world?
    Perhaps you could say "issue a written warning" or a "notice"?
    Thanks.

User With No Name

English - U.S. (Texas)
    I think it is going to be totally different from one school to another, even in the same country. "To write somebody up" is probably as good an option as any: "The students got written up for cheating on their homework." "To issue/give a written warning" is also fine.

kidika

Castellano de Castilla - España
    I think it is going to be totally different from one school to another, even in the same country. "To write somebody up" is probably as good an option as any: "The students got written up for cheating on their homework." "To issue/give a written warning" is also fine.
    Mmmmm....I don't know.
    No one over here "writes anyone up" for cheating on their homework, or if we do, it does not have the same consequences as a "parte". Partes are serious stuff. If you get 3*, you might get expelled for a few days, weeks or months (depending on the severity of the offense).

*The number varies from school to school.