Ponle Aguacate

FriscoJohn

English
Could someone please explain the meaning of this widely used "meme"? One example: A cartoon of a well known American president saying, "!Levantaremos un muro en la frontera y Mexico tendra que pagarlo! Underneath this is "Ponle aguacate al muro".

I understand it has something to do with an outrageous increase of the price of avocados in Mexico but, despite an hour of internet searching I don't understand how this relates to the meme.

Thanks in advance.

• Davidrc

Spanish/Español - MX
    Yeah you said it youself. There's a joke in Mexico with the overprice of aguacate that it's something really valuable and expensive almost like gold. So it's like Trump wants a fancy expensive wall by adding aguacate to it. It's a silly local joke, don't expect to laugh.

boroman

Español - España
    Es como decir recúbrelo de oro.
    Y estoy seguro que el precio del aguacate se ha disparado porque se exporta casi en su totalidad.

FriscoJohn

English
    Thanks, folks, for clarifying. I think now I understand the note of contemptuous sarcasm that the phrase conveys but I don't quite have an English equivalent. I suppose one could say something like, "Yeah, build your wall and gold plate it while you're at it!" Is this in the right ballpark?

Terrific forum, by the way. Wish I had discovered it long ago.

< Previous | Next >