Ponytail on the side

English nerd

Hindi
A girl made a side ponytail by mistake (she wanted to a back ponytail), so will it sound natural to use:
I did my ponytail on the side by mistake.

And if someone comments on the other person:
You ponytail is a bit on the side.

Is the use the use of "on the side" natural?
Thank you:)

• English nerd

Hindi
    You mean........
    Your ponytail is off to one side.

Your ponytail is off to left a bit.

Are these more natural???

Last edited:

Hans in Texas

US English
    Of course these expressions do not seem logical —lol. We say off-center(without specifying left or right); off to the/one side(again, not saying left or right); off to THE left.
    I have not looked at any rules, but if the left/right functions as an adjective or adverb, no modifier is used, I guess; we turned left after passing the church; he looked left and right before crossing the street; he raised his right hand.
    If the left/right word is a noun, such as the subject or direct object or object of a preposition, then “the” or a possessive is needed:
    in politics: the left seems to have the advantage in all the polls; direction: we turned to the/our left after passing the church; your ponytail is off to the left(off to the side).

Eric Chengdu

Chinese
    How about "Your ponytail is not even/ uneven" or "Your ponytail is crooked"? Do they sound as natural? Thanks

English nerd

Hindi
    So Hans, what exactly might be used in this context? I guess your sentences sound so much better than mine.

Do you think they (my sentences) sound okay? [You said that my sentences sound okay, so will they be ever used by a native?]

Last edited:

English nerd

Hindi
    And what about:

I did (or made) my ponytail off to one side.
    Or more specifically:
    I did my ponytail off to left (or right).

< Previous | Next >