ponytail

Gabea

Spanish - Spain
Hi everyone!

Please, could you tell me if these sentences are OK and sound natural? Let's suppose a mother is telling her child this:

- Tie your hair in a ponytail.
- Tie your hair up in a ponytail.
- Put your hair up in a ponytail.

Thank you very much.

• GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    The only difference that would occur to me is that "put your hair up in a ponytail" suggests that the hair is gathered near the top of the head, while the others do not suggest that so strongly.

Here we see the Duchess of Cambridge, who has tied her hair up in a ponytail:

Middleton.jpg

Here we see Araina Grande, who has put her hair up in a ponytail:

grande.jpg

Gabea

Spanish - Spain
    WOW! Thanks!

I have one more question! What about these options?

- Do your hair in a ponytail.
    - Do your hair up in a ponytail.

Would the meaning stay the same? Are these two options colloquial/natural too?

Packard

USA, English
    Tight ponytails are reputed to cause headaches. But I'm just a bald man. What do I know?;):)

Roxxxannne

English (northeastern US)
    Tight ponytails are reputed to cause headaches. But I'm just a bald man. What do I know?;):)
    The only difference that would occur to me is that "put your hair up in a ponytail" suggests that the hair is gathered near the top of the head, while the others do not suggest that so strongly.

Here we see the Duchess of Cambridge, who has tied her hair up in a ponytail:

View attachment 35509

Here we see Araina Grande, who has put her hair up in a ponytail:

View attachment 35510
    I'd say 'put your hair in a ponytail.' There's no tying involved in my part of the world.

Myridon

English - US
    A scrunchie is not "tying"?
    A scrunchie is an elastic band hidden in some fabric. There's no tying. You could, however, tie a ribbon around your ponytail, but that's usually done after you use an elastic band - it takes more than two hands to hold the hair together and tie a knot in a ribbon.
    Some hairstyles actually do involve sort of a loose knot in the hair which might also be tying.

Packard

USA, English
    A scrunchie is an elastic band hidden in some fabric. There's no tying. You could, however, tie a ribbon around your ponytail, but that's usually done after you use an elastic band - it takes more than two hands to hold the hair together and tie a knot in a ribbon.
    Some hairstyles actually do involve sort of a loose knot in the hair which might also be tying.
    I know what it is. But they typically double or triple the scrunchie to make it shorter and in my mind that amounts to "tying".

Roxxxannne

English (northeastern US)
    A scrunchie is not "tying"?

Whoa, I just bumped into a corner here. Didn't even see it.
    To me, that is hair gathered at the nape of the neck and held with a scrunchie.
    Also, scrunchies don't tie, they wrap.

Cross-posted with Myridon

Gabea

Spanish - Spain
    Sorry but I'm a bit confused now... Please, could you help me to clarify this?

Would you agree that a common/natural way to say it would be:

"Put your hair in a ponytail"?
    and
    "Put your hair up in a ponytail"? (maybe this one suggests that the hair is gathered near the top of the head, as GreenWhiteBlue explained above)

Thank you very much

< Previous | Next >