poolroom

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
Hello everyone. I would like to know what "poolroom" means in this sentences:

“My memory goes back to when I first met him,” he said. “A young major just out of the army and covered over with medals he got in the war. He was so hard up he had to keep on wearing his uniform because he couldn’t buy some regular clothes. First time I saw him was when he come into Winebrenner’s poolroom at Forty-third Street and asked for a job."

- F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby, Chapter 9

After Gatsby died, the narrator Nick went up to New York to ask Gatsby's closest friend Wolfsheim to attend Gatsby's funeral. Meeting Nick, Wolfsheim recalled his first meeting with Gatsby.

In this part, I could not grasp whether the poolroom indicated the billiard hall or the room where bookmaking is carried on.
I would very much appreciate your help. :)

• Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
    Dear PaulQ,

Thank you very much for the explanation.
    So it was the room where pool was played.
    I truly appreciate your help. :)

Barque

Tamil
    So it was the room where pool was played.
    As Paul said, it's an establishment where pool was played, with people probably paying the owner in exchange for using the facilities there. It may have consisted of just a single room of course.

A room where pool is played could be in a private home. But that wouldn't be called a poolroom (though it might be called "the pool room").

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
    Dear Barque and ain'ttranslationfun?,

Thank you very much for the explanation.
    Now I got it all thanks to you.

< Previous | Next >