pooped a horn

susanna76

Romanian
Hi,

What does "pooped a horn" mean in the following passage? It's about a composer.

"He was the sort of intellectual giant who clutched his sides when the fool pranced on in a Shakespeare play, the sort who pooped a stupid horn at the last night of the Proms, wearing an oh-so-funny Union Jack hat."
(Catherine Alliott, Olivia's Luck)

Thank you!

• susanna76

Romanian
    I see. Didn't think of it as imitating the sound of the horn. You're right. That must be it. Thanks!

susanna76

Romanian
    Wow. Quite an unusual concert, with the audience clapping and the change of tempo. I also saw the Union Jack hats mentioned. But would he poop a horn in the audience, or is she saying that the guy would be in the actual orchestra pooping a horn? I'm thrown off by his wearing the Union Jack hat.

ewie

English English
    Wow. Quite an unusual concert, with the audience clapping and the change of tempo. I also saw the Union Jack hats mentioned. But would he poop a horn in the audience, or is she saying that the guy would be in the actual orchestra pooping a horn? I'm thrown off by his wearing the Union Jack hat.
    He'd be one of the people in the standing audience (they call themselves promenaders): it is their delight to wear 'wacky' costumes to demonstrate that they're not your usual snotty-nosed classical music buff, most notably anything with a Union Jack printed on it, which also demonstrates their patriotism. (You really have to be British to understand all this twaddle:D)

Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    'Pooped a horn' means something quite different to me.:eek: Rover
    Well... yes. Maybe the same could be said for 'blew a horn' - let's not go there. Context is everything, Rover! The prommers can be a bit boisterous, but I don't think they've sunk to that level..... yet.
    It's definitely "sounded a horn", Susanna.

< Previous | Next >