pop by for some fantastic stalls

< Previous | Next >

miss melancholy

Italian
una signora, commentando una casa-cottage che ha trovato sulla pagina "christmas vintage & craft fair" commenta così:

‎next saturday...pop by for some fantastic stalls xx

so che pop significa "scoppiare" ma cosa intende con "pop by" per alcune fantastiche bancarelle :confused: , forse un qualcosa di simile a "go nuts for"?

• Leo57

UK English
    una signora, commentando una casa-cottage che ha trovato sulla pagina "christmas vintage & craft fair" commenta così:

‎next saturday...pop by for some fantastic stalls xx = come and look at the fantastic stalls..
    Hi there
    The meaning of to 'pop' (somewhere) is actually in the dictionary: http://www.wordreference.com/enit/pop

A couple of examples:
    I'm just popping to the shops, I won't be a moment.
    While I'm out I'll pop over to Jean's to see if she is feeling any better. (or for any other reason!)
    It's a sort of quick impromptu visit somewhere.
    Ciao
    Leo:)

miss melancholy

Italian
    Hi there
    The meaning of to 'pop' (somewhere) is actually in the dictionary: http://www.wordreference.com/enit/pop

A couple of examples:
    I'm just popping to the shops, I won't be a moment.
    While I'm out I'll pop over to Jean's to see if she is feeling any better. (or for any other reason!)
    It's a sort of quick impromptu visit somewhere.
    Ciao
    Leo:)
    Hi:)
    "fare una salto" Is what we say in Rome when we want to "pop" by: "Va be' faccio un salto a casa tua" "I'll pop round to yours" (house)
    Got it now dear ones! :) Didn't know/see that even if searched for on the dict..

k_georgiadis

English (AmE)
    I have been looking for a meaningful analogy; maybe this one: come to our party for a good time is the same as come to our party to have a good time.

Last edited:

gandolfo

English-British
    Just to add to KG's explanations:

"Pop by to see some fantastic stalls","Pop by to see" etc etc

"to" is with the infinitive and here means "in order to" something =purpose

"Pop by for some fantastic stalls" =with the purpose of doing something: pop by for dinner,

and yes they mean the same thing, they both indicate purpose.

Really these types of questions you should ask on the English forum:)

< Previous | Next >