pop my cherry

Moon Palace

French
Hello everyone,

I have come across this phrase in an article from today's The Independent, and I would like confirmation that it is linked to the phrase 'to lose one's cherry'?
In a recent interview, Franco revealed that shortly after the scene was shot, Penn text-messaged his former wife Madonna saying: "I just popped my cherry kissing a guy. I thought of you, I don't know why."

Does he mean something like 'I blasted my virginity'? Or is it very different? Thanks in advance or helping me understand his words.

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    It looks as if pop my cherry is being used here to indicate a first-time experience - Penn kissing a guy.
    Coming from an original sense meaning to lose one's virginity this expression seems to be used metaphorically in a wide range of contexts.

Moon Palace

French
    Thank you, Panj :). So I understand it merely aims at saying something like 'I have added a 'first' to all the experiences I have already had in my life.' That makes sense indeed, but I wasn't aware of the metaphorical meaning of the phrase.

katie_here

England/English
    It looks as if pop my cherry is being used here to indicate a first-time experience - Penn kissing a guy.
    Coming from an original sense meaning to lose one's virginity this expression seems to be used metaphorically in a wide range of contexts.

I agree with this. It seems that it was the first time for Penn with a guy (hence, "pop my cherry").

LilithE

Croatian
    What about "It makes my cherry pop" ? like it makes my lose my virginity?

It sounds weird to me but I am not a native speaker and I could have a completely wrong image in my head. I am just having trouble imagining 'cherries' pop by themselves. :)

nzfauna

New Zealand, English
    This is how I would understand your sentence...

I believe that when a woman becomes sexually excited (such as when kissing a guy) her vagina secretes fluid, becoming juicy, like a "popped" cherry.

I just grossed myself out.

Copyright

American English
    From the Online Etymology Dictionary: cherry: Meaning "maidenhead, virginity" is from 1889, U.S. slang, from supposed resemblance to the hymen, but perhaps also from the long-time use of cherries as a symbol of the fleeting quality of life's pleasures. Cherry-pick, in a pejorative sense, first recorded 1972.