pop out

keung

Chinese
HI all,
Can I use pop out in following situation ?
I popped out from the hatch, it is too many pepole inside it
(I'm now standing on the deck)
I was popped out form the hatch, it is too many pepole inside it
( I was unwillingly pushed outside the hatch in a chaos)

Thank in advance!

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    You can pop out of something but it's unlikely that you can be "popped out" by others.

I also find "pop out" odd in this context. Didn't you have to physically climb up a ladder to get out of the hatch? It's very difficult to "pop out" when the movement isn't very, very quick.

jasperjane

English - American
    I agree with Dimcl about the sense of the word "pop", and would like to add that "people" is plural, so the second part of your statement should read ""...there are too many people..." ;)

keung

Chinese
    Thanks Dimcl and jasperjane,

Firstly, I might have misundertood the word "hatch" in English, I thought it is a "carriage" on the boat which offer seat to people, so that people can resting and watching outside-view through a window. And they can just simply step out a door to the deck. How to call it then ?

"The cork unexpectedly popped out of the champagne bottle. The champagne went everywhere!"
    by above sentence, I thought "pop out" can be done by a unwilling situation, so that I made up my example "being pushed out".if pop out is not suitable, what word would be ?
    Thanks again!

jasperjane

English - American
    A "hatch" on a boat is usually a small, narrow round opening most often set into a horizontal surface, which is why a ladder is usually required. I'm not very familiar with terms for boats, but maybe the word "portal" would work...on the other hand, the word "door" might work just fine too.

The word "pop" implies a fast, sudden burst of movement. Things can be popped, but as Dimcl mentioned, people are not usually popped by other agents. They can "pop" themselves, but only in reference to a fast, sudden burst of movement.

So, you can say, "I popped up out of the chair." and it gives the image of jumping quickly up out of the chair. You can say "I popped out the door for a moment" to mean that you stepped out briefly. Or, you can "pop your head out the window" to mean you stuck your head quickly out the window.

The important thing is that the word "pop" implies suddenness, surprise, quickness. It has a very physical sense attached to it. I can not imagine a situation in which a person would be popped out of something (by another agent or force), unless it was quite physically dramatic....like being popped out of an airplane by an emergency eject seat...and for that case, perhaps the word "pop" isn't severe enough.

If a person is being moved through a door involuntarily, using the words "pushed out" would work well.

< Previous | Next >