pop up / out

claires

France
Hello
What is the meaning of "pop up"?
My collegues always use this word "she has just poped up". I know that means she just left but I need precisions! Please!!! Or maybe it's pop out...You see! I need help!!
Thanxxx

• claires

France
    Merci..:)..mais est-ce familier? quand l'utiliser? que serait une bonne traduction de pop out?

kanoe

France, French
    c'est imagé : idée d'un départ soudain, où on bondit légèrement de sa chaise/hors de la pièce (comme le pop corn qui "pop")
    en français..euuhhh.....on est moins bons que les anglo-saxons pour ce genre d'expressions...

pieanne

Belgium/French
    It's usually "pop out for something", meaning "to leave for a short time in order to go &..., or to get ..."

Now, if you're in Harry Potter's world, "to pop out" would mean "to suddenly disappear", and maybe with a "pop" sound

kanoe

France, French
    tu peux t'amuser, genre :
    elle a bondit hors d'ici comme une crevette hors de l'eau
    elle est partie comme un pet de lapin sur une toile cirée (authentique)

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    pop up = turn up (apparaître/réapparaître sans être attendu)

We hadn't seen Betty for months and then she suddenly popped/turned up one Sunday at church.

pop out (BE)/run out (AE) = sortir quelques moments

You're looking for Mark? He was just here a minute ago, but I think he popped/ran out for a cup of coffee.

missourigirl

USA, English
    Hello,

I, too, believe the phrase you were referring to is "pop out" instead of "pop up."

I know nothing of the French for these words, but what I've seen about the English so far, has not reflected my 38 years of American English experience, so I wanted to comment. There are three phrases that sort of interrelate here: pop in, pop out, and pop up. I may have missed it, but so far I didn't see anyone mention pop in. I think in this discussion, all three phrases are important to understand.

(If this post is inappropriate please hide it. I am stepping on a limb to discuss "pop in" also, because I think it relates directly to understanding "pop out" and "pop up" more fully.)

pop in - to visit a place, without formally announcing the visit beforehand, and with the expectation that the visit will end quickly. This phrase is normally used to indicate a pleasant, short visit ("short" is always nice when the visitor is unannounced!).
    "While she was in the area doing some work, Mary's best friend popped in to use the bathroom."

This is sometimes used with sarcasm, and if so, is stated with special emphasis:
    "Mary's mother-in-law popped in on Friday..." [pause] "That completely destroyed our weekend plans. We had to stay home and entertain her for three days!"

pop out - to briefly leave a place, without formally announcing the departure beforehand, and with the expectation that the person will return quickly. This phrase is normally used to indicate a pleasant, short trip, as to grab a cup of coffee or run to the bathroom or pick up lunch.
    "Mary was disappointed to learn that the senator had popped out for lunch. She wasn't able to wait, so she decided to visit him later."

pop in vs. pop out

Mary's secretary might say to a telephone caller:
    "Mary popped out for a minute to grab some coffee! I'll ask her to phone you when she returns."

The owner of the coffee shop (after Mary got her coffee and left the shop to return to work) might say to Mary's friend:
    "You missed Mary! She popped in for coffee just a few minutes ago!"

Note: Pop in and pop out would rarely (if ever) indicate that anything strange or unusual has happened. Sometimes pop in indicates a surprise, but nothing too far out of the ordinary.

pop up

"Pop up" has two uses that I know of, but I have never seen it used with the opposite meaning of "pop out." It has always meant a rather strange appearance, as I've heard it used. So I suppose, in some places where English is spoken, it should be used carefully because it's not just a normal arrival or departure. I'd like to hear feedback from others on this.

pop up (1) - to appear spontaneously, perhaps after a long period of disappearance. This phrase does not mean something is bad, but nevertheless indicates something strange or unusual, or even eccentric behavior like Mary's below:
    "Mary is such a traveler. It is hard to determine in which city she will pop up next!"
    "I had assumed that the cat was dead, but he popped up at my door last night!"

(I am not entirely certain that "to pop up at one's door" is normal English. It may be a local phrase that would not be appropriate elsewhere. Comments will be helpful.)

In the same sense (1), "pop up" can be used to indicate an extremely unexpected surprise, which might include a visit from a longtime friend who has been away for years. (In this case, pop in would not be right because it doesn't indicate the same degree of surprise.)
    "It had been 40 years since we'd seen each other, and Mary just popped up at my door yesterday!"

pop up (2) - to appear suddently, in a place where (or at a time when) one is least expected. This phrase also indicates something strange or unusual.
    "The boss mentioned that he planned to fire Mary if she had not showed up for work before he left for work. She popped up five minutes after he left. Poor Mary!"
    "Mary is a Democrat. Who would have thought that she would pop up at a Republican party dinner like she did on Friday?"

If possible, could we have some more discussion, with you all critiquing what I've just said? I'd like to know if it is different in other parts of the English-speaking world! Thank you.

< Previous | Next >