popular study/studying material books

aesir

Banned
Russian
Hello: The title of this link (a website that recommends books to read ) is "popular studying material books" and not "popular study material books" - are they both grammatically correct? If they are, when should one use "study" instead of "studying" and vice versa? Thank you.

• owlman5

English-US
    "Popular studying material books" sounds fairly odd to me, aesir, although I can understand what the phrase means.

I can't tell you that that strange phrase is "grammatically incorrect", but it doesn't sound very idiomatic in English.

I would rather see something like "popular study aids" in reference to these books.

Uncle Jack

British English
    "Material" in this context ("reading material" or "study materials", for example) is usually used because the person specifically does not want to say what form the material is in (books, pamphlets, magazines, handouts, for example). Adding "books" renders "material" obsolete. Unfortunately, web search engine algorithms often persuade writers of web pages to include alternative terms that would be far better omitted; perhaps the writer of this page thought that if he left out "material" he would lose some hits.

There appears to be no particular reason behind whether "study" or "studying" is better with a particular noun. I would say "studying materials" and "study books", and I might then try to justify this by saying that studying materials are an aid to studying while a book is something that can in itself be studied to give an understanding of a subject, but this reasoning is entirely fallacious. Owlman is quite correct in preferring "study aids", but these aren't things to be studied in themselves.

owlman5

English-US
    Owlman is quite correct in preferring "study aids", but these aren't things to be studied in themselves.
    I believe you. If they aren't meant to be used to aid somebody's study of something, I'm not sure why the author of that phrase decided to use "popular studying material books."

< Previous | Next >