Population balance?

Rigardo Lee

Context and Thoughts :

Some animals are multiplying at such a rate that far exceeds that of population stability

-----------------

I'm intending this sentence to mean that "some animals multiply too fast to balance the population"

And I'm curious as to whether "far exceeds that of population stability" sounds natural to your native ears.

Thanks in advance :)

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I'm intending I intend this sentence to mean that "some animals multiply too fast to balance the population"
    That is not very idiomatic.

"Some animals are multiplying at such a rate that far exceeds that of population stability" is not the same as "some animals multiply too fast to balance the population".

Stability and balance are different concepts. Stability can be maintained "within parameters", balance tends to mean "static at an optimum level" or verbally "to be in static harmony with another factor."

And I'm curious as to whether "far exceeds that of population stability" sounds natural to your native ears.
    No. "at such a rate that far exceeds" is not idiomatic -> such means approximately "the same as" therefore it cannot mean "far exceeds".

The first part of the sentence refers to a rate, but the relative clause does not describe a rate.

The whole thing is awkward and it is very difficult to explain exactly why without rewriting it.

lingobingo

English - England
    Some animals are multiplying at such a rate that far exceeds that of population stability

Firstly, the word “such” needs to be deleted.

And in that sentence the word “that” refers back to “rate”, so what you’re saying is: Some animals are multiplying at such a rate that far exceeds the rate of population stability. But “the rate of population stability” (= the rate at which the population is stabilising) doesn’t make sense. What (I think) you mean is that some animal species are reproducing at an unsustainable rate, which risks endangering their survivability.

< Previous | Next >