population inexorable drift to the cities has left behind

nihongasuki

Traditional Chinese - Hong Kong
Hello everyone , is me again..

I would like to ask that
what is the sentence structure of this sentence ?
"The population inexorable drift to the cities has left behind in the countryside whole communities that are dominated by the elderly. "

I can roughly guess the meaning of it but I really can't figure out how this sentence is composed :confused:

"The population inexorable drift to the cities has left behind in the countryside
whole communities that are dominated by the elderly. "

"The population inexorable drift to the cities has left behind
in the countryside whole communities that are dominated by the elderly. "

(I have tried to cut the sentence piece by piece , but still I can't find a pattern of it .:()

THANK YOU!!:)

• I would have expected "The population's inexorable drift to the cities...". That is the "subject" of the sentence.
    "...has left behind in the countryside" you could read as the verb followed by adverbial expressions.
    "...whole communities dominated by the elderly" - the "object" of the sentence. "Whole" and the phrase "dominated by the elderly" both act as adjectives, qualifying the noun "communities".
    "Dominated by the elderly" means elderly people make up the largest age-group of the population left behind.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    It should be the population's inexorable drift. I wonder whether that is what is giving you trouble

"The population's inexorable drift to the cities has left behind in the countryside whole communities that are dominated by the elderly. "
    The population's drift has left behind communities [that are dominated by the elderly]

The bare bones of the sentence: The drift has left behind communities.

Everything else describes this.
    The population's drift / the population's inexorable drift/ drift to the cities.
    The population's inexorable drift to the cities.
    The drift has left behind communities / has left behind whole communities / has left in the countryside /has left behind in the country side whole communities/
    communities that are dominated by the elderly.

The population's inexorable drift to the cities has left behind in the countryside whole communities that are dominated by the elderly. "

Cross-posted.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Where did you see it, nihongasuki? It should be population's.

It's been wrongly copied from
    CultureShock! Japan: A Survival Guide to Customs and Etiquette
    By P Sean Bramble
    p 49/50

nihongasuki

Where did you see it, nihongasuki? It should be population's.

It's been wrongly copied from
    CultureShock! Japan: A Survival Guide to Customs and Etiquette
    By P Sean Bramble
    p 49/50
    Yes! This sentence was copied from this book .
    The original sentence should be
    "The population 's inexorable drift to the cities has left behind in the countryside whole communities that are dominated by the elderly".
    Sorry to all of you:(:(:(:( I have make sure that the copying this time is correct.
    But I still can't figure out the pattern of this sentence originally
    Thanks for the help from all of you!!!:):):):):)

nihongasuki

It should be the population's inexorable drift. I wonder whether that is what is giving you trouble

"The population's inexorable drift to the cities has left behind in the countryside whole communities that are dominated by the elderly. "
    The population's drift has left behind communities [that are dominated by the elderly]

The population's drift / the population's inexorable drift/ drift to the cities.
    The drift has left behind communities / has left behind whole communities / has left in the countryside /has left behind in the country side whole communities/

The population's inexorable drift to the cities has left behind in the countryside whole communities that are dominated by the elderly. "

Cross-posted.
    Thank you for you detailed explanation. Got it !:):):):):):):):D

nihongasuki

I would have expected "The population's inexorable drift to the cities...". That is the "subject" of the sentence.
    "...has left behind in the countryside" you could read as the verb followed by adverbial expressions.
    "...whole communities dominated by the elderly" - the "object" of the sentence. "Whole" and the phrase "dominated by the elderly" both act as adjectives, qualifying the noun "communities".
    "Dominated by the elderly" means elderly people make up the largest age-group of the population left behind.
    Thank you !:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

nihongasuki

Cross-posted.
    BTW , if I change the sentence into :
    The population's inexorable drift to the cities has left behind whole communities that are dominated by the elderly in the country side /

Does the above sentence still make sense , and able to convey the meaning of what it originally want to convey?
    THANK YOU!

< Previous | Next >