Position of an adverb (strongly) in a sentence

bloopinette

UK
French (France)
Hi,

IN the following sentence, where would you put the adverb "strongly"? I have moved it around but it never seemed right.

The medicinal product concerned must be strongly presumed to be effective.

Thanks

• nzseries1

New Zealand - English
    I think it's perfect where it is. Anywhere else and it sounds out of place to me.

In your case "strongly presumed" would mean "presumed by a large number of people".

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    I think it's perfect where it is. Anywhere else and it sounds out of place to me.

In your case "strongly presumed" would mean "presumed by a large number of people".
    Or "deeply presumed by a highly-respected professional", perhaps?

AngelEyes

English - United States
    The medicinal product concerned must be strongly presumed to be effective.
    While I totally agree with nzseries1, (like I usually do) I can understand your bit of confusion.

Is the medicinal product strongly presumed or strongly effective? You have to ask yourself what the purpose in your sentence is going to be.

Either word would take an adverb. In this instance, strongly makes more logical sense to modify presumed.

If it's a good product, then it would also be strongly effective, but it wouldn't be as logical to use that word choice to make your point. You'd want to choose a more visually appropriate word. I say visually to mean it creates the right word picture in your mind.

You'd probably use words like: extremely effective, very effective, quite effective. You wouldn't use these words to modify presumed.

But the confusion occurs (for me) because strongly here almost fits both words.

AngelEyes

< Previous | Next >