position... which she <found><has found> advertised

marcbatco

Italian-Italy
I would please ask you if you would use the present perfect or the past simple in the following sentence (the verb find is referred to an action occurred recently):
She is interested in applying for the position of X, which she (has found)/found advertised in the career section on her university's website.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Forero

I would please ask you if you would use the present perfect or the past simple in the following sentence (the verb find is referred to an action occurred recently):
    She is interested in applying for the position of X, which she (has found)/found advertised in the career section on her university's website.
    I would use past simple, either "which she saw (advertised)" or "that was advertised".

Last edited by a moderator:

marcbatco

Italian-Italy
    I would use past simple, either "which she saw (advertised)" or "that was advertised".
    Thank you, Forero, for your advice. Why is it more appropriate to use the simple past, even if it is something that she has done recently? Is it because there is an ideal time interval between when she saw it advertised and when she has developed her interest for it?

Last edited:

Forero

Thank you, Forero, for your advice. Why is it more appropriate to use the past simple, even if it is something that she has done recently? Is it because there is an ideal time interval between when she saw it advertised and when she has developed her interest for it?
    No. You are talking about an event that happened recently that she remembers, so simple past is most appropriate.

I would also use past simple for "when she developed her interest for it".

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I wouldn't personally object to the perfect tense there in BE, but I suspect it's more usual to do it with just the past participle as:
    She is interested in applying for the position of X, advertised in the career section on her university's website. :)

marcbatco

Italian-Italy
    No. You are talking about an event that happened recently that she remembers, so simple past is most appropriate.

I would also use past simple for "when she developed her interest for it".
    I wouldn't personally object to the perfect tense there in BE, but I suspect it's more usual to do it with just the past participle as:
    She is interested in applying for the position of X, advertised in the career section on her university's website. :)
    Thank you, Forero and DonnyB, for your advice.

Last edited:

marcbatco

Italian-Italy
    Hi DonnyB, do you mean that in BE the following options would be appropriate:
    She is interested in applying for the position of X, which she has seen advertised in the career section on her university's website.
    She is interested in applying for the position of X, which has been advertised in the career section on her university's website.?

< Previous | Next >