Possessive Apostrophe for Name ending in y's [e.g. Sandy's]

< Previous | Next >

thetenant

English - Australia
Hi,

I would like to know what the appropriate punctuation is to show possession for a pronoun that ends in y's.

For example, a company's name is Sandy's. In a sentence about the company's ice-creams, how would you treat the apostrophe. Would it simply be, 'Sandy's ice-creams are the best!'

Thanks in advance!

• natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    There are many company names with the possessive but somehow lost their apostrophes, eg Harrods (originally Harrod's) and there's a teashop in York called Bettys (originally Betty's).

In general, I'd go for an avoidance strategy and use a noun+noun compound instead: This is a Harrods shopping bag; I got some Bettys chocolates for Easter; Sandy's ice-creams are the best.

I can't imagine writing or saying Harrods's or Bettys's or Sandy's's!

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I would still go for the avoidance strategy. I can't imagine writing Sandy's's as I mentioned earlier.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    We have a real example in Sainsbury's (and a similar one with McDonald's). After a bit of searching I found a use on their website which is unmistakably genitive, and as expected uses the unchanged form Sainsbury's:

Links to other websites: Whilst Sainsbury’s makes every effort to provide you with links to other high quality, reputable websites, these websites are not under Sainsbury’s day to day control.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    Have you ever seen it used that way (Sandy's's) in Australia, thetenant?

Things are different Down Under, sometimes.

I used to go to a pizza place in LA, and I might say about it: Johnnie's sauce is the best.

I think you get a free grammatical pass when the name has an apostrophe, and you are using it as a possessive.

Don't sweat the small fries. :D

< Previous | Next >