Possessive - you posted recently on Monster's web site

< Previous | Next >

Sextus

Spanish
Can I use the " 's " in this way:

"There exists, however, a serious difficulty concerning Skepticism's association with Empiricism." ?

Thanks

• JdeSoto79

USA English
    I think it sounds awkward to use the possessive in this instance. Although it is certainly understandable, I would only use this construction in conversation or maybe an email, never in writing.

SpanishStudent_39

USA (English)
    Both are correct and acceptable, although personal preference varies as you can see.

:tick: "There exists, however, a serious difficulty concerning Skepticism's association with Empiricism."

:tick: "There exists, however, a serious difficulty concerning the association of Skepticism with Empiricism."

Or, depending on context, you could be more concice and say:

:tick: "There is a serious difficulty in associating Skepticism with Empiricism."

I like the last one best because it works well in both formal and informal situations.

Sextus

Spanish
    Thanks to you all.

I think the third one wouldn't work given that I'm using "association" in the sense of "relationship". It's not that someone is associating them, but that there is a relationship.

SpanishStudent_39

USA (English)
    In that case, you should be able to say: "There is a serious difficulty in relating Skepticism with Empiricism."

But, by all means, use whichever you think fits your context.

< Previous | Next >