Possible synonyms for "Leave food behind"

< Previous | Next >

Jatzy

French - France
Hello,

I am preparing a linguistic experiment in English which will imply sentences such as "The dog left some of its food behind". In a first version, I had not included the word "behind", but an American friend told me it was mandatory. However I would like "food" to be the last word in the sentence. If anyone could come up with a verb which could replace "leave behind", it would help me a lot. It can have more than one word, but I don't want any particle to appear after "food", and it does not need to be a perfect synonym. Anything that entails that the dog did not eat all of its food is good.

If you think the sentence without "behind" is correct, please tell me too.

The subjects for the experiment will be recruited in the US, so if there is dialectal variation I'd rather stick to American English.

I am sorry if this forum is not the appropriate place for such requests, but any help is welcome.

Thank you very much!

• Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    Hello Jatzy, and Welcome to the Forum! :)

To leave some of your food (usually) means that you've eaten as much as you wanted, though some remains (usually on your plate).
    To leave some of your food behind means to abandon it - ie. you've moved away from it (physically).

I'm not sure which sense you require. :)

Copyright

American English
    Your American friend is not correct. You can say "The dog left some of his food" -- we will know that it's behind, or in the bowl, or uneaten or untouched.

If you want the original with "food" at the end, you can say "The dog left behind some of his food."

Jatzy

French - France
    Thank you for your answer :)

In this case, "left" would be better than "left behind", so my problem is solved!

Happy new year by the way!

Jatzy

French - France
    Thank you Copyright for the additional information. If I can completely drop the "behind", then it's perfect. The simpler the sentence the better!

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    You can also say, "The dog didn't finish his food." Or, "The dog didn't finish the food in his dish."

Similarly, of a person, "He didn't finish his dinner." "He left some food on his plate."

Jatzy

French - France
    Thank you Parla, but I have to avoid negation for some reasons.

I ran a pre-test yestereday with "leave some food" and it worked well, so thank you all for your advices, it was very helpful!

< Previous | Next >