possible values of the variable [value]

< Previous | Next >

Sun14

Chinese
Hello, my friends,

I came across this sentence in a translation studies book:

For instance, sentence length: we could decide that a sentence can be long, middle-sized, or short (and of course define what we mean by these terms). These three possibilities would then be the possible values of the variable "sentence length".

Does value refer to characteristic or feature in this context?

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Our Collins Concise English Dictionary has the definition that best explains this use of value:

6. a particular magnitude, number, or amount: the value of the variable was 7

Last edited:
    A variable in math or physics, etc. is a quantified something, such as "force", the variable "F" in
    the equation F=ma (Force equals mass times acceleration). The variable can {i.e. is said to} assume 'values' in a specific situation; here, if one knows the mass and acceleration. In your example, if one knows the exact sentence length, say, ten words, that is the "value" of the variable 'sentence length' in the specific context.

Sun14

Chinese
    A variable in math or physics, etc. is a quantified something, such as "force", the variable "F" in
    the equation F=ma (Force equals mass times acceleration). The variable can {i.e. is said to} assume 'values' in a specific situation; here, if one knows the mass and acceleration. In your example, if one knows the exact sentence length, say, ten words, that is the "value" of the variable 'sentence length' in the specific context.
    Got it. Thank you very much.

< Previous | Next >