posthac iure “doctorandum” appellatum iri.

< Previous | Next >

voltape

Peruvian Spanish/USA English
I have a diploma from the University of Utrecht) –

“Facultas Theolgiae confirmat Johannes… examen studium theologiae consummans subiise, et posthac iure “doctorandum” appellatum iri. Disciplinae quae examine continebantur in appendice probata enumeratur.

My try: The College of Theology confirms Johannes… has completed successfully the examinations on his studies of Theology, and therefore he is entitled to the doctorate. The courses contained in the examination are presented in the appendix.

Is he "entitled to the doctorate" or is he granted the degree of "Doctor"

• exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    Appellatum iri is the future passive infinitive of appellare: that from now on he will legally be named/called/titled "doctorandus".

From wikipedia:
    The second usage [of the supine] is in the future passive infinitive, for example "occisum iri" means "to be going to be killed". It mostly appears in indirect statements, for example "occisum iri a Milone video", meaning "I foresee that he is going to be killed by Milo".
    This is one of the rarest grammatical forms you will ever see. Someone in Utrecht had a lot of fun coming up with this phrasing.

I'm not sure that the gerundive doctorandus means Doctor. It might just mean doctoral candidate.

Last edited:

Scholiast

saluete omnes!

I agree with exgerman (# 2) about 'doctorandus' meaning 'doctoral candidate', or (more clumsily) 'eligible to apply for doctoral status'. And I am sure his observation about the wry wit of the author of this staidly pompous prose, in resorting to one of the rarest conjugated verb-forms, is right. A delight for alte Schulmeister like myself, but it hardly trips off the tongue.

But just a doubt about 'Johannes': of course the name is of Hebrew origin (meaning something like 'God is gracious'), but would this not have been assimilated in mediaeval and academic discourse to a Latin declension-system, with an accusative Johannem?

Σ

voltape

Peruvian Spanish/USA English
    Thank you very much to both of you, dear friends and helpers! Don't worry - that "Johannes" is my invention - So as not to disclose the name of my client I wrote any name that came to my mind - you are right, I should have used the accusative.

< Previous | Next >