postpone for/to/until

< Previous | Next >

Miclendev

Italian
Hi guys,
regarding the subject of the question, I saw some thread here about it but to be honest, I didn't understand it very well.

So, could anyone help me to understand which sentences below is correct / better to use?
Context: Today is Friday, and we have a meeting on Saturday, the next day. For any reasons, the meeting on Saturday cannot be done and no one knows what it wll be the day.
Sentences:

1. We should postpone the meeting for the next week
2. We should postpone the meeting to the next week
3. We should postpone the meeting until the next week

Thanks,
Ciro

• The Newt

English - US
    2. and 3. mean the same thing, but 1. means something different. It could be interpreted as "postpone the meeting that was scheduled to take place next week," but it could also mean "continue to postpone the meeting through the next week."

Also note that "until the next week" and "until next week" don't necessarily mean the same thing.

Miclendev

Italian
    2. and 3. mean the same thing, but 1. means something different. It could be interpreted as "postpone the meeting that was scheduled to take place next week," but it could also mean "continue to postpone the meeting through the next week."

Also note that "until the next week" and "until next week" don't necessarily mean the same thing.
    Ok maybe I understood :)
    Are you saying that in the first sentence we are asking to reschedule for the meeting was planned on the next week?

Regarding your last sentence, could you please give me an example?

Thanks

The Newt

English - US
    Ok maybe I understood :)
    Are you saying that in the first sentence we are asking to reschedule for the meeting was planned on the next week?

Regarding your last sentence, could you please give me an example?

Thanks
    The first sentence is ambiguous, so I just wouldn't use it.

If you postpone a meeting "until next week" it means that, for example, a meeting scheduled for today, February 28th, will now be held sometime between March 2nd and March 6th. If a meeting is scheduled for some future week (say March 13th), it could be postponed "until the next week," that is, the week of March 16th-20th. "Next week" is always relative to now (or this week); "the next week" is relative to some other period of time.

kentix

English - U.S.

This one has no clear meaning. I wouldn't use it.

"the" isn't needed and interferes with the meaning.

"We should postpone the meeting to next week."

I wouldn't use this one either.

In this one "the" is wrong also.

"We should postpone the meeting until next week."

Personally, I think "until" makes more sense with an event that will happen.

"We should postpone the meeting until we receive a reply from the planning commission."

Then, there will be a reason to meet and something useful to discuss.

I prefer using "to".

"For" is also a possibility when used with a length of time. "Next week" is not a length of time. "A week" is a length of time (it equals seven days).

"We should postpone the meeting for a week."

"We should postpone the meeting for ten days."

Miclendev

Italian
    The first sentence is ambiguous, so I just wouldn't use it.

If you postpone a meeting "until next week" it means that, for example, a meeting scheduled for today, February 28th, will now be held sometime between March 2nd and March 6th. If a meeting is scheduled for some future week (say March 13th), it could be postponed "until the next week," that is, the week of March 16th-20th. "Next week" is always relative to now (or this week); "the next week" is relative to some other period of time.
    Good explanation. Thanks a lot

Miclendev

Italian

This one has no clear meaning. I wouldn't use it.

"the" isn't needed and interferes with the meaning.

"We should postpone the meeting to next week."

I wouldn't use this one either.

In this one "the" is wrong also.

"We should postpone the meeting until next week."

Personally, I think "until" makes more sense with an event that will happen.

"We should postpone the meeting until we receive a reply from the planning commission."

Then, there will be a reason to meet and something useful to discuss.

I prefer using "to".

"For" is also a possibility when used with a length of time. "Next week" is not a length of time. "A week" is a length of time (it equals seven days).

"We should postpone the meeting for a week."

"We should postpone the meeting for ten days."
    Good explanation. Thanks! :)

kentix

English - U.S.
    I just realized from reading above that "until" makes good sense with a specific date.

"We should postpone the meeting until the tenth."
    "We should postpone the meeting until April 12th."

< Previous | Next >