Postpone from Thursday to Friday

< Previous | Next >

Peter_Gabriel

Polish
Dear all,

I am not sure if the underlined part sounds correct and natural. I don't know if I can use 'from...to.." with postpone. Please help me.

"I had to postpone a meeting from Thursday to Friday."

• lingobingo

English - England
    I see no reason why you shouldn’t express it like that — although putting the date of a meeting back by only one day seems scarcely to merit the term postponement. It’s typically used to mean delaying something for an indefinite length of time, or at least to some time in the future that’s more distant than just the next day.

lingobingo

English - England
    No. It’s nothing to do with that. There’s absolutely nothing pompous about the verb postpone. It’s just that – arguably – that’s not the sort of situation in which you’d automatically use that term.

kentix

English - U.S.
    from Thursday to Friday."
    It's good. It names the old date and the new one so it will minimize misunderstanding.

We had a question here a few days ago from a guy who missed a meeting because the other person wasn't specific enough about the date. People have different ideas what forward and back and push up and push back and "next" mean when it comes to dates. Always try to be as clear as possible.

< Previous | Next >