posts over discussions, shallow comments over deep conversations

Michael30000

Russian
Hello everyone,

From the book Thank You for Being Late by Thomas Friedman.

Because of the speed and brevity of social media, we are forced to jump to conclusions and write sharp opinions in one hundred forty characters about complex world affairs. And once we do that, it lives forever on the Internet, and we are less motivated to change these views, even when new evidence arises. Fifth—and in my point of view, this is the most critical—today, our social media experiences are designed in a way that favors broadcasting over engagements, posts over discussions, shallow comments over deep conversations. It’s as if we agreed that we are here to talk at each other instead of talking with each other.

How should I interpret the "posts over discussions, shallow comments over deep conversations" part?

Does it mean in a way that posts over discussions (i.e. too many discussions) and shallow comments instead of deep conversations?

Thank you.

• Language Hound

American English
    The idea is that social media experiences are about one-sided monologues; they're not about engaging with others in discussions or deep conversations.
    Does it mean in a way that posts over discussions (i.e. too many discussions):cross: and shallow comments instead of deep conversations?:tick:
    Posts (one-sided) are preferred to discussions (interactions with another person or persons); shallow comments (again, one-sided and superficial) are preferred to deep conversations (meaningful exchanges with others).

< Previous | Next >