Postseason stripes aside....

< Previous | Next >

rich7

Venezuela español
Championship Series experience is on the side of a St. Louis team that is on the scene for the third straight year and for the fifth time in seven.
The players gathered together as the 2006 Mets have had some LCS experience, little of it good: Game 1 starter Tom Glavine went 5-4 in Championship Series with the Braves, but teammates who've been there are 0-5.
However, the recent Division Series proved these Mets are not doomed to repeating their personal history. In their prior cumulative playoff exposure, Mets players had been 17-34 in all postseason series. Postseason stripes aside, the teams share a lot more in common.

I do not get the idea when this writer says: "stripes aside"

• french4beth

US-English
    Both teams have advanced to the championships, which are beyond the regular season (although only the Mets wear uniforms that have stripes in them). "Earning your stripes" means that you have made a great accomplishment or achievement, as in the military when you receive stripes based on your rank.
    "Earning your stripes":
    noun 1. - V-shaped sleeve badge indicating military rank and service; "they earned their stripes in Kuwait"

rich7

Venezuela español
    Oh, I think I got it now, it's about these two teams advancing to the playoffs where everything begins all over again.

< Previous | Next >