postulate that the Board <include/ includes> [subjunctive]

< Previous | Next >

White Nyan Cat

Polish - Poland
Hello,

This time I come with a question which has been banging here and there in my head for some time.
We postulate that the Board include fair engagement in its strategy.
Shall there be "includes"? Because I think that it is fine as it is now. This text is formal and official. I remember that there was a rule for this, but my brain doesn't want to cooperate.

Thanks.

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I wonder what 'postulate' means here.

In American English, we use the subjunctive with some verbs that introduced suggestions or instructions. (The subjunctive often looks like the 'bare' form of the verb.) We suggest/demand that the Board include fair engagement.
    (Speakers of British English may do it differently.)

The meaning of postulate I am most familiar with means to assume the truth of something.
    For that meaning, we use regular indicative form, 'includes': We postulate that the Board includes fair engagement.

We need more context to decide what is intended here. Where did you see this sentence? What was being discussed?

White Nyan Cat

Polish - Poland
    Exactly, it is a suggestion: more or less, like the "Hey, Board, I suggest that we do something with our lives finally, but I will use the verb "postulate" so that I look cool and stuff!" corporate speech. It's from my translation.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US

White Nyan Cat

Polish - Poland
    They always postulate something. I have used dozens of synonyms so that there's no "suggest" in every sentence. And "demand" just doesn't fit; they are rather polite.

< Previous | Next >