Posture vs pose

• Copperknickers

Scotland - Scots and English
    Actually, there is something about pose and posture mentioned previously in the same article:

“It looked like it got trapped in mud, and that’s how it died,” said Brusatte. “The neck is arched, the head is raised up, like it’s sticking its head above something, and both of the arms are outstretched and to the sides of the body, and so it’s like it’s trying to free itself.”

It seems to me like the scientist just uses the word 'pose' to avoid repeating the word 'posture'. Ordinarly, they have a slightly different meaning: a pose is a position that one adopts for a short time, e.g. for a photograph to be taken, and posture is how you hold yourself, i.e. are you slumped, with an arched back and dropped shoulders, or upright with shoulders up and back straight. In my view, 'posture' is not the correct word here, it's just an attempt to make 'pose' sound more formal.

suzi br

English / England
    Actually, there is something about pose and posture mentioned previously in the same article:

“It looked like it got trapped in mud, and that’s how it died,” said Brusatte. “The neck is arched, the head is raised up, like it’s sticking its head above something, and both of the arms are outstretched and to the sides of the body, and so it’s like it’s trying to free itself.”

It seems to me like the scientist just uses the word 'pose' to avoid repeating the word 'posture'. Ordinarly, they have a slightly different meaning: a pose is a position that one adopts for a short time, e.g. for a photograph to be taken, and posture is how you hold yourself, i.e. are you slumped, with an arched back and dropped shoulders, or upright with shoulders up and back straight.
    You could be right, but it is rather confusing to me, I'd take the two words to be referring to different things! If he means them to denote the same thing I'd prefer it written with more of a clue.

Copperknickers

Scotland - Scots and English
    You could be right, but it is rather confusing to me, I'd take the two words to be referring to different things! If he means them to denote the same thing I'd prefer it written with more of a clue.
    Indeed. Literally, it does suggest that 'posture' and 'pose' refer to different things, but I don't see how that could be the case given the context.

< Previous | Next >