potential status as a Spanish-English bilingual

zapspan

English, USA (Southern California)
Quisiera traducir lo siguiente al español: "These documents reveal his potential status as a Spanish-English bilingual."

Mi duda principal tiene que ver con "potential status as", aunque tampoco estoy seguro en cuanto a "Spanish-English bilingual".

Mis intentos:
Estos documentos revelan su potencial/posible? estatus como bilingüe español-inglés.
Estos documentos revelan su potencial/posible? estatus como un individuo bilingüe español-inglés.
Estos documentos revelan su potencial/posible? estatus como bilingüe en español e inglés.
Estos documentos revelan que tal vez sea bilingüe español-inglés.
Estos documentos revelan que tal vez sea un individuo bilingüe español-inglés.
Estos documentos revelan que tal vez sea bilingüe en español e inglés.

¿Qué opinan?

• fenixpollo

American English
    Perhaps the original sentence is less than clear. It might help if you explain what "these documents" refers to, how the documents "reaveal" his potential status, what that "status" might mean to the authors or readers of the text, who the authors/readers might be, and why they use "bilingual" as a noun instead of as an adjective.

zapspan

The context would be something like this: the person speaking is commenting on the author of documents written in Spanish a couple hundred years ago. The author of these documents appears to have been bilingual in English and Spanish given that the way he expresses himself in Spanish appears to show interference from English. [So actually, the use of present tense to describe the author of the documents is not so good - I should have used "fuera" instead of "sea"].

The original essentially means "The Spanish that he used when writing these documents shows that he may have been bilingual in Spanish and English".

As for the noun vs. adjective status of "bilingual" / "bilingüe", that is not crucial for my purposes, so I would appreciate suggestions in which it is treated as an adjective or a noun.

micafe

Spanish - Colombia
    I'd say:

"Estos documentos revelan la posibilidad de que esta persona haya sido bilingüe en español e inglés"

"Estos documentos revelan la posibilidad de que ésta haya sido una persona bilingüe en español e inglés"

"Bilingüe" is not used as a noun in Spanish. You cannot say for example "yo soy un bilingüe".

*Sorry I didn't reply last night or earlier today :)

zapspan

A related question...I would like to instead say the following in Spanish:

The person who wrote this translation was Mario Ruiz, who, based on his translation, one might suspect was bilingual in Spanish and English.

Mi intento:
    La persona que escribió esta traducción fue Mario Ruiz, quien, por su traducción, se podría sospechar que era bilingüe en español e inglés.

¿Qué piensan?

micafe

Spanish - Colombia
    "La persona que tradujo esto fue Mario Ruiz, de quien, por su traducción, se podría sospechar que era bilingüe en español e inglés.

First of all, we say "hacer una traducción", not "escribir una traducción".

On the other hand, Spanish doesn't like a word twice in the same sentence: "traducción".

:)

zapspan

Gracias, micafe.

Una pregunta....¿Se utiliza "de quien" porque se sospecha algo de alguien?

< Previous | Next >