Potluck

NickJunior

Khmer
I have a question concerning the word potluck. I look it up in the WordReference dictionary but I am still confused. I would like to know what is happening during a potluck. Thank all in advance. Here is a context:

Potluck for Mr. A is this Friday! Sign up sheet is in office area somewhere. Donate as much or as little as you prefer by Thursday at 3:00. The idea is to buy Mr. A a few different gift cards for tech stores and restaurants since Mr. A likes tech toys and food.

• tinlizzy

USA - English
    Potluck usually refers to an assortment of food brought by different people to one event.

Potluck sometimes means getting something by chance.

For me, the quote is a strange way to use potluck.

JamesM

At a potluck, each participant brings a complete dish of food, usually enough to serve six or more people. All the food is placed on a table and is served buffet style. What the buffet offers is "the luck of the pot", or "potluck." In other words, the meal's menu is not planned; the menu consists of whatever each person has brought to the event.

In the U.S., there is usually a rough guideline given by the organizers of the event in order to avoid 26 tuna casseroles being the only thing to eat. :) One common way to attempt to diversify the offerings is to assign categories of food to bring based on the first letter of your surname, such as: A-F bring main dishes; G-N bring salads and side dishes; O-Z bring desserts.

I would assume from the quote that a lunch or dinner, "potluck style", is being organized for Mr. A. In addition, suggestions are being offered as to what types of gifts Mr. A would most enjoy.

NickJunior

Khmer
    Hello Liz and JamesM,
    Thank you so much for your inputs. Here is more context. Mr. A is actually an ESL teacher at a community college, and he is retiring. Another ESL teacher is secretly organizing something special for Mr. A on Friday. So there are two things happening then if I understand JamesM correctly. There will be a lunch or dinner potluck style which means that a student has to bring a dish of food (can it be an ethnic dish also?) and a money donation. Please confirm.

< Previous | Next >